Re: Debian Wheezy freezing

On 02/02/2013 01:36 PM, William Ivanski wrote:
Hi  everybody,

I have a Lenovo laptop, with CPU Intel Core i5, which I use to work.
I installed Debian Wheezy and the system freezes randomly. No response
to keyboard or mouse clicks, just mouse moves. Needed to restart all the
times.

I searched a lot about this problem, and many people suggest the
installation of a newer kernel (current is 3.2).
Currently, on kernel.org, stable release is 3.7.5.

I never compiled a kernel before, so I am afraid of the problems it
might create. I'm worried about virtualbox, which I installed through
aptitude.
I'm also considering upgrade to Debian unstable branch. It have a kernel
newer than 3.2, doesn't it?

So my questions are:

1) Which is better? Keep Debian Wheezy and compile a new kernel, or
upgrade to Debian Sid?
2) Have you guys compiled a kernel before? How it was? Can you provide
me a good tutorial about it?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Will

Hi William,

as maybe you know Wheezy has been prepared to become a stable so with some exceptions Sid doesn't contain newer packages, only bug fixes.

Compiling newer kernel is a time consuming operation and you have to know a lot about your hardware and kernel options.

In my opinion you may do the following:

- try to identify the problem e.g. look in the log files for errors and if you find something wrong, report it to debian community - install another Linux distribution with newer packages and test your hardware with newer software packages
- try to compile and install newer linux kernel yourself.

Best regards
Georgi