Re: disk labels mismatch

On 01/15/13 04:06, pavicic wrote:
I thought I came to a Linux forum where people
solve problems not scrap them. The latter sounds like
from a Windoze forum.

I have a SOHO network with my primary desktop/ VirtualBox server, two desktops, one backup server, and a Windows XP laptop. I used to do paid work at home, but not right now.

I've found that it's better/ faster/ cheaper to backup/ wipe/ rebuild machines than to try to trouble-shoot them. This forces me to have robust backup procedures in place, and reinforces my system installation/ configuration and data restoration skills.

As I once heard a speaker say at a LUG meeting:

    You should be able to throw any machine out a nine story window
    and have a replacement in operation within half a day.

That said, successfully trouble-shooting a mess you created would help you understand what you did wrong, and deepen your knowledge of that part of the system. I've done plenty of trouble-shooting over the years. The problem is that I can't estimate it, or guarantee success. I can for backup/ wipe/ rebuild.

So, I guess it depends on your goals. Mine are 1) reliable operations and 2) disaster preparedness. What are yours?

David