Re: upgrade squeeze -> wheezy (issues)

I'm top posting because nobody should be expected to go through all that stuff.

I believe you have to decide now whether your system is going to be
amd64 only or multiarch. Because you now have ia32-libs installed,
that means you want to have both 32 and 64.  The ia32-libs framework
is the old way of supporting both, but it is going into the history
book. It is replaced by multiarch, which is a big changeover.

So to formally allow multiarch, you need to dump ia32-libs and its
ilk, then change your arch so that it allows both, and then when you
run the next apt-get update and apt-get install, you will see all hell
break loose because all of the 32bit libs that were in ia32-libs will
now come in as separate pacages. ANd lots an lots of otherpackages
that were one-arch will have to get replaced by multiarch ones.

http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch
http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation

I would suggest you NOT try to upgrade all packages in one shot, but
instead focus on groups that are manageable.

For me, the 'upgrade' is not smooth, some old glibc stuff that was in
/lib did not get cleanly removed, and the new install was confused by
the old stuff. I posted about it in this list, a week ago.

I am probably going to make a clean install once there is a long term
release of Wheezy.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director