Re: Install from DVD set

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:37:37 +0100, Richard Owlett
<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:51:41 +0100, Richard Owlett
<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
1. After an install completed, how do I scan the other 7
DVD's so Synaptic knows about all available packages?

http://www.slideshare.net/linuxnandha/how-to-add-dvd-repositories-in-ubuntu-4503966

That page evidently addresses the issue. BUT ;/
It's not really useable for me at home on a dial-up
connection with a browser with JavaScript intentionally
disabled.

Oops :D

In Synaptic:

Settings -> Repositories -> Tab: Third-Party Software ->
Click on the "Add CD-ROM" button.

It will ask for the DVD. Insert the DVD and press "Ok".
When the CD or DVD is loaded click on the Apply Button of
the main Window.
Then repeat this for every CD or DVD.
That's all.

That didn't work [appeared to do 'something' but to no effect] on my system where the first install DVD was identified as Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 "Squeeze" - Official i386 DVD Binary-1 20120512-13:45
which included synaptic 0.70~pre1.

What you said got me looking further. I found Edit->Add CD-ROM which did work.

I also discovered that the screen shots in the Synaptic help do not match the actual synaptic display. As Squeeze is only getting security patches and I do not have access to wheezy [I'm on dial up] should I file a bug report? If so, where?

If you now will install a package with dependencies,
Synaptic will ask you to insert Disc x of y, IOW you now are
a DJ ;).

Hth,
Ralf