Re: Make your life happier - uninstall FGLRX drivers!

Le 14.01.2013 12:27, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
I can confirm that on Linux 3D support by modern versions of X FLOSS
drivers is very good, especially for ATI cards the proprietary driver
isn't maintained for not really old cards on Linux.

Even nouveau for NVIDI graphics today is ok in most of the cases.

Can not agree more for NVidia. The only problem I have with nouveau is that I can not use my both graphic cards, but I did not tried with proprietary.

A nice thing with free drivers, that at least NVidia does not have, is support of recent stuff, like xrandr. This really makes life easier if you are using multi-screen configurations.
Also, NVidia actually needs a Xorg.conf, unlike free drivers.
(I wonder if wayland is supported by proprietary drivers?)

I suspect that for gamers proprietary drivers are still important, I
don't know.
Gamers often use proprietary systems :)
For games like nexuiz, which is a linux native, I have no problem with nouveau. But my graphic cards are not of high qualities, so maybe I can not see the cons.

If everything is ok on your Linux I wouldn't uninstall a working FGLRX
drivers.
Never touch something which is working, except if you think the new one may provide good enough enhancements, of course. NVidia drivers works, but lacks support for xrandr, which is a very nice stuff.