Re: Make your life happier - uninstall FGLRX drivers!

I can confirm that on Linux 3D support by modern versions of X FLOSS
drivers is very good, especially for ATI cards the proprietary driver
isn't maintained for not really old cards on Linux.

Even nouveau for NVIDI graphics today is ok in most of the cases.

I suspect that for gamers proprietary drivers are still important, I
don't know.
For hard real-time audio users it's always good to compare current
proprietary and FLOSS drivers, just to ensure that the driver has the
less negative impact as possible to hard real-time audio abilities.
Usually FLOSS drivers should be a good choice for hard real-time audio
too, but I wouldn't put my shirt on that.

I experienced that Google Earth and software like this does work without
drawbacks when using the FLOSS drivers. If a DE would force me to use
any effects (with 3D support needed or not), I wouldn't use this DE.

If everything is ok on your Linux I wouldn't uninstall a working FGLRX
drivers.

Regards,
Ralf