Re: Make your life happier - uninstall FGLRX drivers!

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:27:25PM CET, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> said:
> I can confirm that on Linux 3D support by modern versions of X FLOSS
> drivers is very good, especially for ATI cards the proprietary driver
> isn't maintained for not really old cards on Linux.
>
> Even nouveau for NVIDI graphics today is ok in most of the cases.
>
> I suspect that for gamers proprietary drivers are still important, I
> don't know.
> For hard real-time audio users it's always good to compare current
> proprietary and FLOSS drivers, just to ensure that the driver has the
> less negative impact as possible to hard real-time audio abilities.
> Usually FLOSS drivers should be a good choice for hard real-time audio
> too, but I wouldn't put my shirt on that.

Support for new cards may also require proprietary drivers. Eg. for my
Lenovo T530, nouveau from wheezy or sid does not work. I was told I
had to wait for 3.6 kernel and a recompiled Xorg.

So I use nvidia proprietary until I can switch to nouveau (which works
better when you've got a laptop with an optional external screen)