Re: Running jackd.

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 16:00:03 +0100
Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:

> I probably will forbear here, and wait for year or so - may situation
> will change w/ jackd - You know it is as w/ PA - terrible, but things
> slowly change and something else will come instead. I do not believe
> that the jackd similar software should be that hard to use.

Oh, don't worry. jackd will be around then just as it is today. It's
been here for quite some years now and people are actually quite happy
with it.

Personally I've never started jackd from the command line, yet. But
granted it takes a few tries in qjackctrl to find the right settings.
If the jackd process is killed it might be a resource problem with RT
being the cause or not. In order to try that you can run jackd and all
audio apps as root user, because the root user may always start RT
processes.

Either that or as it has been said, it's a problem with the sound card.
But then, for midi only you don't need jack. If you want, try out muse,
which is really a fine midi sequencer. Start with -a option so it
doesn't complain about jackd not running. Than go to settings --> midi
devices and set up your midi outputs. This setup is working for me for
at least two years now. Have to say though, that I'm running the
bleeding edge svn trunk since the muse devs are very quick in adding
new features and fixing bugs.

So how are you going to listen to your midi files? What soundcard are
you using and what midi equipment?

Dennis