Re: Installation

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:15:31 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> As I already mentioned, they should go for something that suit their
>>> needs, like a tablet or something prebuilt that provides the less
>>> hassle to their minds. Linux (as we know) is not for them (or yes, but
>>> then it has to be properly packaged, managed, delivered and supported
>>> by Google or any other company).
>>
>> Why would it have to be taken over by a company?  That wouldn't remove
>> the need for learning.
>
> Because companies have the necessary resources to provide the kind of
> support a newbie requires (e.g., IBM, HP, RedHat, Canonical or SUSE are
> good examples for this). No user-driven mailing list can help these kind
> of newbies in the same way that a company does, if someone told you so it
> wasn't being sincere.

The only way in which Suse has been helping me is by including
documentation in form of a book with their distributions --- which after
not very long didn't answer the questions I had anymore.  Back then, it
was common to provide documentation with products you bought ---
something that unfortunately has been given up, probably because it's
cheaper for the manufacturers.  With Debian, you get an installation
manual and an administrators handbook and a lot of other documentation
online, plus mailing lists and local user groups --- and all this for
free.  What commercial company does keep up with that?

Microsoft doesn't offer any useful support, and when it comes to support
"in general" (phone companies, hardware ...), useful support is rare and
support of a quality one can expect can be called outstanding because
support is usually non-existent.  Support from commercial companies?
You can pretty much forget that.

Companies may have resources they could use to provide support.  Simply
having them doesn't mean that they do.

>>> Because Windows OEM installations are always -regardless the version-
>>> quick and take little time but we are not talking here about this, you
>>> know...
>>
>> No, they aren't.
>
> By your replies I can deduce that either:
>
> a) You have never installed a OEMized version of Windows or,
> b) You are not very skilled user because these versions provide a wizard
> that only asks you no more than 5 basic questions, or
> c) You're simply joking...

None of your deductions is correct --- and they seem more like guesses
than deductions to me.  I've done quite a lot of OEM installations.
They were anything but quick, and they did take a lot of time.  But
then, my understanding of "taking a long time" can be much different
from yours.

--
Debian testing amd64