Re: Installation

On 13/09/12 12:54, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 12:33 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>> When you come to re-install the OS (and it is occasionally necessary),
>> it is vital to have at least /home and /usr/local on seperate partitions
>> from /, so that you can happily reformat / without worrying (too much)
>> about your data.
>
> I also can restore root including /home and /usr/local from my backups.
> If you keep /usr/local and you install Debian by the installer, not from
> a backup, then the package management doesn't know about the packages
> that installed files to /usr/local. "Make love, not make install" and
> btw. the averaged user we are talking about, for sure has nothing
> in /usr/local.
>
>> Also, you can fill up /home, and still run the system. I would also keep
>> /var on a seperate partition, to guard against some errant application
>> filling it up.
>
> If everything is in one partition, it's very unlikely that some location
> gets filled up. It's more likely that this happens, if you use separated
> partitions.

Hey, I was answering your question "But what does argue against having
root and home on the same partition?", which you neaatly snipped. I'm
not addressing newbies, only telling you what I would do, with my
justifications. I really can't be bothered with getting into an argument.

If you want to do something different, go ahead, but I fail to
understand why you ask a question if you're going to criticise the
reply, unless you're trying to play NIGYSOB [1]

[1] http://www.ericberne.com/games/games_people_play_NIGYSOB.htm

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |