Re: Installation

On 13/09/12 12:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 04:10 -0700, Weaver wrote:
>> If you find, in time, that you are running out of drive space, instaal
>> a bigger drive, install the / and swap and again, allocate the rest
>> as /home and copy it over.
>
> How big should / become? Okay, modern drives have that much capacities
> that for an empty drive or much unallocated space, simply fifty-fifty
> should work. But what does argue against having root and home on the
> same partition?

When you come to re-install the OS (and it is occasionally necessary),
it is vital to have at least /home and /usr/local on seperate partitions
from /, so that you can happily reformat / without worrying (too much)
about your data.
Also, you can fill up /home, and still run the system. I would also keep
/var on a seperate partition, to guard against some errant application
filling it up.

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |