Re: Installation

On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 23:45 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 09:52:47PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > don't install German language packages. To post English output of
> > commands on a German mailing list wouldn't be good.
>
> Don't you mean German output?

That's what's needed for a German mailing list, but many mailing lists
are in English only. Just a few lists are in German.

> Anyway, to post English output if your locale is non-English, just
> prepend LC=C before the command.
>
> e.g % LC=C apt-cache policy zsh-beta

Yes, but how do I get German output, when I'm using English only? And
for GUI applications, how do I know what the menus are named etc.? I
would have to install language packages for each app. Why should I do
this? Just to join a German mailing list, with a small community, while
I anyway have to join many English mailing lists?

I tried to do the translation of Qtractor and perhaps I'll do it this
year or at the beginning of next year. However, I don't have much time
and it's very time consuming, because IMO many things are hard to
translate, the English words are much better, than German terms.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: libmp3lame0 is a replacement for gstreamer0.10-lame and it's in the
official repositories?