Re: Installation

Le 11/09/2012 04:23, Weaver a écrit :
I get the point. It's just not an accurate or germaine one...because you
quoted out of context.

it's "germane", now. Germaine has been a firstname for some time.

More seriously : I don't mean to offend you, Weaver, but you should
probably try to stick to "simple" English. This is an international list,
and I'm betting some people have no idea what you're on about -
to the others, your posts just sound a little pompous ;)

What I am saying there needs advisory material placed into the
installation process so that newbies can make INFORMED decisions and
People aren't going to spend the time it would take them to learn
everything they need to make informed decisions about the options the
installer gives them, no matter how much documentation you put into it.
And here you do it again.

This is one small page, with information pertaining to partitioning and
file-systems. There is no need to put documentation into the installer
pertaining to every subject it addresses.
There simply isn't a need that I can see.

Why do you distort the direction of the discussion to that degree?
For more than a decade now you need a working computer to install an
operating system on another one so that you can acquire information and
additional software as needed. Why isn't that included in the installer?
Because that is an issue that somebody with a basic mastery over their
system and sufficient experience with Debian is capable of chasing down
themselves. This discussion is centred round the issue a newbie would
experience when confronted by the partitioning stage of the installer.

Just boot from the installation media and be presented with a working
system and an installer, allowing you to switch between them.

For those who don't want to or are unable to learn, have a button they
can press to perform the installation, no matter what and no questions
asked. However, those are the kind of people who better stay away from
computers, which makes it doubtful how useful such a thing would be.
That is not what is being advocated and I don't see the relevance with
Debian either.
The whole exercise is a requirement to advise.
Not remove choice or the power of personal decision making over even a
newbie's system. An advisory, of this nature, as I have already said,
would be the first step that supplies that revelatory "Ah Hah!" moment
that encourages exploration. Not one that inhibits access to knowledge.
Regards,

Weaver

--
David Cho-Lerat