Re: wpa_supplicant.wlan1.pid

 On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:05:10 +1200 "Chris Bannister
 cbannister@slingshot.co.nz" suggested this:

>"apt-get update" THEN "apt-cache policy firmware-linux-nonfree"

I didn't copy the output because it was the same again. That being that:
firmware-linux-nonfree wasn't in the package list.

So, because you had it in yours Chris, I changed my sources list to be
directed at the "nz" rather than the "au" mirror.

There has been a lot of trouble with the "au" mirror. Heaps of error
messages and some very weird messages coming up that I was sick of
googling to discover what was happening.

I had to remove all my /var/lib/apt/lists/partial" entries to get
anything to work with the "au" mirror. Then dumped it the third time I
had to do this.

So I updated on the "nz" mirror and upgraded to it and bingo, guess
what? There was firmware-linux-nonfree and a whole heap of other
firmware packages rather than the sparse offering presented by the "au"
mirror.

I also installed the firmware-iwlwifi package jumped through the
modprobe hoops as outlined here:

http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

Then pulled out the dongle and ifdown wlan1 and ifup wlan0 and I was
away using the Intel wireless card.

Thanks for your help and your "nz" mirror.

Be well,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for
other people." --- Thomas Mann