Re: Supermicro SAS controller

On Wed, 09 May 2012 04:28:42 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> On Tue, 08 May 2012 15:27:26 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> And the same goes with computer "power-saving" options (hibernation and
>> suspension), I never use that for servers... what the hell, when the
>> computer is "on" I want it to be "on" not sleepy, I need a quick
>> response to whatever event. When I don't use the computer I just
>> power-off and no single watt is wasted.
>
> This may be true for business but at home I like to have silent and
> energy efficient devices. They don't have to be as responsive as
> professional equipment I think.

In an ideal world, that's what should happen: you enable stand-by → you
save energy/money → the entire world (and your pocket) thanks you :-)

In the real world most of the times one of your computer devices
experience problems when going into a hibernanting/suspending state and
if only one device has problems your whole system can be affected
(meaning, you can be forced to do a hard reset).

That said, I do like that simple electronic devices (such as TV, video
recorder, cell phones, etc...) have stand-by capabilities and I make use
of them but a computer system is a complex and delicated apparatus and I
don't like to play to the russian roulette with my data ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón