Re: Supermicro SAS controller

On Sat, 05 May 2012 11:15:22 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

<snipped>

>>> Just a note of caution here.
>>>
>>> RAID 5 with big hard disks can be a real pain and a real problem. If
>>> one of the arrays go down, the rebuilding operation can take up to
>>> "days" (depending on the controller's capacity) and if while the RAID
>>> is rebuilding a second disk of the array is also down for whatever
>>> reason (it can be a false possitive) you can't recover your data, at
>>> least not that easily. That's why most people is switching from raid 5
>>> to raid 6, it adds an extra of security with no remarkable drawbacks.
>>
>> That's true.
>>
>> On the other hand it isn't possible to have different disk sizes in a
>> raid 6 neither.
>
> I think yes, that you can, but only the lowest of the disk capacities
> will be used (this applies to all of the RAID levels). Software RAID has
> not such limitaion because you can mirror partitions, instead.

Ok so with sw raid I can use partitions as devices. This means I could
divide my drives into 500 GB pieces and like this use the whole size of
the disks?

Wouldn't it be easier to have e.g. four of each size and put them into
raid5?

>> So my plan seems still reasonable to me to have several 4 disks raid 5
>> arrays. Like that I'm flexible to add bigger disks in future as they
>> become cheaper and still can keep my old 1.5 TB disks. And if I would
>> go for raid 6 with the 4 disk array I would loose a third of the
>> capacity.
>
> (...)
>
> You've been warned :-)

Yes and I appreciate that!
But I can't see any other solution without loosing 500 GB of the two TB
disks :-?

Best regards
Ramon