Re: Supermicro SAS controller

On Tue, 01 May 2012 14:38:47 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> On Tue, 01 May 2012 13:31:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 May 2012 11:53:27 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro
>>> AOC-SASLP-MV8 as controller for a software raid. Unfortunately the
>>> system crashes when I try creating a filesystem on the md device.
>>
>> JFYI, Google reports tons of problems with that card using mvsas driver
>> in linux, maybe you should consider using a different controller :-(
>
> Thanks for your info.
> I wasn't aware of that :-(

Yeah, that usually happens. I had to read lots of documents before buying
the raid card controller for my servers. I ensured the card was fully
supported by the kernel but still you never know if a bug is going to hit
you at some point. Linux users play with disadvantage here.

> Can you recommend something better?
> It was very nice because it's quite cheap and I don't need a hardware
> raid card.

"Cheap" and "nice" do not usually came together, or to put it well,
"cheap" and "good performance" do not usually match :-)

What kind of hardware do you have (motherboard brand and model) and what
kind of hard disk controller do you need, what are your expectations?

SuperMicro boards (I'm also a SuperMicro user) are usually good enough to
use their embedded SAS/SATA ports, at least if you want to use a software
raid solution :-?

>>> And I can access the disks. Create an ext3 and ext4 filesystem on them
>>> seperately. But they don't like be be in the raid.
>>>
>>> When the system crashed I got this dmesg but I can't find anything in
>>> there:
>>> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ZFdkcS8p
>>
>> There are some interesting entries there:
>>
>> [   12.028337] md: md1 stopped.
(...)
>> [   12.035275] raid5: raid level 5 set md1 active with 2 out of 3 devices, algorithm 2
>>
>> Those are related to md1 and your raid5 volume.
>
> And this looks ok or is there a problem?

Well, I'm not familiar with MD (I use hardware raid) but "md1 stopped"
and raid 5 with only 2 elements in the array does not sound very good ;-(

>> [   12.244499] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
>> [   12.244502] PM: Resume from partition 8:3
>> [   12.244503] PM: Checking hibernation image.
>> [   12.244599] PM: Error -22 checking image file
>> [   12.244602] PM: Resume from disk failed.
>>
>> And this comes from a resuming operation. Do you hibernate your system?
>
> No I don't. I usually do `sudo halt` to shut it off. But maybe I pressed
> the power button of the case before I collected the dmesg report. But
> usually I don't hibernate.

Okay.

>>> On the screen I saw this:
>>> http://666k.com/u.php
>>> (Sorry it's a photograph)
>>
>> I can't load the image :-?
>
> Sorry I posted the wrong link. This one should work:
>
> http://666kb.com/i/c3f6nbmalagytqujw.jpg

Ugh... and when is that happening, I mean, that "I/O error"? At install time,
when partitioning, after the first boot?

>>> What else can I do?
>>
>> I would report it, although I'm afraid this is a well-known issue.
>
> Where should I report it?

I would try firt in Debian BTS, against the kernel package.

> I've written a mail to Supermicro. Should I also create a Debian bug
> report?

Yup, tough I think it will be forwarded upstream.

>> Sadly, Supermicro does not build binaries for Debian/Ubuntu but maybe
>> you can ask them for the sources to compile the driver by your own.
>
> I found this pages:
>
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Driver/Linux/3.1.0.7/
>
> But it doesn't seem as if it's what I need.

Mmm, your addon card is based on Marvell 6480 chipset, those packages are
for Marvell Odin(88SE64xx) as the README file says. Maybe you need to look
here, instead:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS2/

But it doesn't matter because these are also rpm based packages.

> And the supermicro support sent me the link to this zip file:
>
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Firmware/3.1.0.21/Firmware_3.1.0.21.zip
>
> It contains some win files and I have no clue what to do with them. So I
> hope I get an answer from them what to do with it...

Mmm, then the above FTP link you sent was correct, weird...

Well, that ZIP file is for updating the "firmware" of the card, not the
driver. You should not update it unless you are completely sure about what
you are doing, and even more when there's data on the array. Also, ensure
that's the correct firmware version for you card...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón