Re: [OT] Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

On Wed, 02 May 2012 19:55:06 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Wed 02 May 2012 at 14:38:47 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:30:09 +0100, Brian wrote:
>>
>> > joe1assistly, surely?
>>
>> Yes. This is the "from" line where the name is faked to appear to come
>> from the list:
>>
>> ***
>> From: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <joe1assistly@gmail.com>
>> ***
>
> The software used to generate the mail may very well be inept; it might
> even be trying to be helpful to the recipient. I doubt it is attempting
> to deceive.

That's being too much kind.

I prefer to think there's a diabolic self-awareness machine behind all
this that is trying to fool all of us ... and conquer the world. Woah,
ha, ha, ha... }:-)

(well, okay, okay... just joking)

>> Still getting, yes.
>>
>> And yes, I now don't think these messages are coming from users on this
>> mailing list, it looks more an automatism triggered by our (some?)
>> posts here but I don't know what could be, tough the common link for
>> those who receive the e-mails is indeed that we replied to posts here.
>
> As desk.com are the ones picking up mail from the list, only they are in
> a position to say from where they originate. Perhaps they have
> subscribed to debian-user. :)

He... damn social network! ;-)

I just reported the involved account at Gmail's abuse system. I don't
have any expectations this solves a thing but is all I can do by now.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón