Re: [OT] Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

On Tue 01 May 2012 at 11:18:14 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> E-mail headers say not much (see the link). At least seems to come from a
> genuine Gmail account:
>
> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Lz8eFuTe
>
> "X-Mailer" and "Message-Id" gives some clues about the origin but nothing
> on why I/we get the posts :-?

We'll assume the mail is a genuine one.

   From: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <joe1assistly@gmail.com>

These point to desk.com and/or assistly.com as being the origin. Seems
a respectable enough business,

             (ec2-174-129-125-98.compute-1.amazonaws.com. \
             [174.129.125.98])

Gmail received the mail from a cloud-based machine

                           of joe1assistly@gmail.com designates        \
                           209.85.220.182 as permitted sender)

and is happy enough with it to use one of its machines to pass it on to
your account.

I do not understand why Subject: is different from the

   Re: Install a package from testing?

in your mail at

Also

is puzzling because this is the Message-id: for msg01825.

Now for dates and times (taken from gmane) of the four posts in that
thread:

   Nick Meyers		2012-04-28 22:19:58 GMT
   Chris Knadle		2012-04-28 22:56:41 GMT
   Camaleón		2012-04-29 11:20:23 GMT
   Camaleón		2012-04-29 11:50:52 GMT

In the body of the fourth post is

			Apr 29, 2012 11:21AM UTC

which presumably is the time at which joe1assistly claimed to receive
the mail. This is about a minute after the third post in the thread.

We can do a check with

where the date/time given in the body of the post is

			Apr 28, 2012 10:08AM UTC

The second post in the same thread was made at

			2012-04-28 10:07:31 GMT

Coincidence? I'd be looking at something happening in the interaction
between the poster and gmane.