Re: How do I remove a bad file??

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 04:46:19PM -0700, Dan Hitt wrote:
> Handle this with great care!!
>
> If you can remove it in the gui, do so.
>
> That would be safest.
>
> If you cannot, then look up the man page on rm, and make
> sure that the -i flag works.
>
> -i stands for inquire, and should ask you for each file that
> it wants to remove whether to remove it or not.
>
> When you are absolutely certain that you trust the -i flag,
> and have tested it somewhere, then go to the directory
> where the offending file is, and type:
> (CAUTION)   /bin/rm -i *
>
> Then it will ask you for each file, and you type n for
> all of them except the one with the mangled name.
>
> (I would also wait an hour first, in case somebody
> has a less scary alternative that they post.)
>
> (Note: i may sound ridiculous talking about caution here,
> but i remember years ago deleting a huge amount of
> work because i was removing without checking very well.)

It's always wise to alias "rm" to "rm -i" in your shell.
Also learned the hard way, when the combination of a killer
headache and time pressure caused me to delete a bunch of
things years ago...

There's a file manager called worker which is rather handy
for this sort of thing, too --very fast and light, uses only
xlibs.

--
 Indulekha