Re: Debian and EFIKA MX Smartbook

Le Friday 16 March 2012 13:45:03, Robert Pommrich a écrit :
> > I've tried  armhf-2GB_20111122.img.xz .
>
> Would you please explain a bit more detailed what is this exactly? Is it
> an installer or a live system or an already installed debian? If it is
> an installed debian, which packages are installed?

This is an image file that you need to write on an SD card.
see http://wiki.debian.org/EfikaMX for more details

> >> 3. Did I understand it right, that for an installation of Debian, I just
> >> need to write one of those images to a SD card, put this into the SD
> >> card slot, turn the device on and drink some coffee?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Would you please tell, what happens step by step after starting the
> device with the SD card inserted?

The smarttop directly boots from the image stored on the SD card.

> >> 3.1 After the installation, upgrading the system will work?
> >
> > Probably. Except for the kernel. The kernel must be compiled with the
> > correct options to support the Efika board.
>
> Which option would that be? Which kernel would be to use?

If you use the image, you don't need to rebuild your kernel.

I know that they are some *eifka* options in the kernel, use grep to find
them. As for the kernel version, your guess is as good as mine. I did no try
further as the imsage provided by Genesi did fit my needs.

> >> 4. If it should be not that easy, does the armel distribution of Debian
> >> work on the device? I guess, then I have to compile the xorg-video-imx
> >> driver by myself, right?
> >
> > And the kernel. and create the u-boot image
>
> Would you please explain the creation of the u-boot image a bit more
> detailed?

This is detailed in http://wiki.debian.org/EfikaMX

All the best

Dominique