Re: not in X. man command does not respect set bell-style visible

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On 19:01 Wed 29 Feb     , Sven Joachim wrote:

>> This is because .inputrc is only honored by programs that use readline,
>> and the standard pager does not use that.
>>
>> > how to get rid of this?
>>
>> Make sure that less (the standard pager) is invoked with the "-q"
>> option.  E.g. set PAGER="/usr/bin/less -q" in the environment.
>
> I see references on google to the fact that the pager is set via the PAGER variable
> but when I do echo $PAGER I get nothing.

Because PAGER isn't set by default.

You can set it in "/etc/environment" or "~/.bashrc" or "~/.profile".

> 1) I see that there is a pager
> and that
> 2) man pager
> gives me
>  man less
> and that
> 3) which pager
> is
> /usr/bin/pager
> which is a symlink to
> /etc/alternatives/pager
> which is a link to
> /bin/less

Yes, this all the result of the alternatives "system".

Is it "/usr/bin/pager" or "/usr/pager"?

You could create a "/bin/lessq" wrapper (and incur an extra cost) and
use "update-alternatives" to default to "/bin/lessq".

> 3)
> so my system does not seem to use the PAGER variable ??
>
> so how to make
> pager link to
> /bin/less -q
> instead of linking to
> /bin/less.
>
> Do I use the alias abiltiy?
>
> I tried to edit the
> .bash_aliases
> file and created the entries
>
> pager='less -q'
> less='less -q'
>
> within that file
>
> and that successfully shut up sound on  less and pager
> but it did not shut up sound for man.
>
> I still have a beepy noisy man.
> I tried
> export  $PAGER="less -q"
> and that seemed not work either.

It's "export PAGER..." not "export $PAGER...".