Re: Print a message to all terminals at boot

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Debian Squeeze system that exposes a terminal on the serial
> line (ttyS0) and the usual tty ones. I would like to print a message
> at the very end of the boot sequence, but before any user logs in (the
> message is a diagnostic that may affect whether the user logs in at
> all).
>
> If I put, say, echo "Message" in /etc/rc.local, it only shows up on
> the serial console. How can I print a message to all consoles?

"rc.local" will only display an "echo..." on the console.

If you want a message displayed pre-login:

If it's static, you can add it to "/etc/issue".

If it's dynamic (e.g. "ifconfig lo"), you can add it to
"/etc/rc.local" but use "ifconfig lo > ttyX" but the message won't
display before ssh sessions.

If you want a message displayed post-login:

You can append it to "/var/run/motd" in "/etc/init.d/bootlogs" or
"/etc/rc.local".