Re: Some applications freezing up

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:27:40PM +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> >You could try using a DE/software which is lighter e.g LXDE,
> >XFCE or even just a WM and start you software from an Xterm when
> >needed.
>
> In short: he can stop to use a bloated desktop environment? ;)
> To be honest, I can not say you're wrong, but I guess the OP does
> not really want to try a new DE, he might had enough difficulties to
> be accustomed to gnome 3 :D

Ok, first of all I'm blind and it seems to be the most accessible option
at this time.
Lxde and xfce4 are gtk based and are alternatives, but I'm reasonably
happy with gnome tbh.

> Some tools will allows you to have better clue about what exactly in
> your hardware is not powerful enough, look at any resources monitors
> you want, which gave you some history. (I am using xosview, as
> example, but there are plenty in aptitude)

Hmm, I really hope it is not h/w problem:
Intel core I5 2.4 Ghz 4 gb ram 128 gb ssd.

Do you still think it's a h/w problem?

Running top shows many running processes (that's normal?).
The top few are things I use eg. brltty cpufreq etc. so looks pretty
reasonable.

Thanks,
Dan