Re: cinnamon problem

Le 22.12.2012 12:18, abdelkader belahcene a écrit :
Hi,
I used for a while mint13  with cinnamon desktop, i got big problem,
it often freezes, and the screen stays like this until I reboot the
machine!!!
So I decided to instyall mate, et use it at it place,  then the
problem disapeared???
 I used it on I giga memory machine so no memory problem i think.
May be so daemon is started as root and consumes  all  the
resources from time to time ???

any idea
thanks a lot

regards
bela

The only way I know to know if your problem is performance-related, is to measure them. It could simply be that mint13/cinnamon is buggy. We have no clue here. I think the problem of buggy software is the most probable, since if you just had resources problems, you would be able to notice something: hard disk "grinding", or it's led being constantly powered if the RAM is fully occupied (aka: the computer is swapping constantly, it often happens to me when I compile with too much processes and GCC compiler...), and if it was the CPU, you would simply have huge slow down of your actions. In any situation, the problem would probably disappear after few minutes.

So, try to measure resources occupation, and you'll know. If you notice a full resources occupation, then you'll have to do less things at a time (removing some daemons might help you). If, more probable IMHO, it is a buggy version of cinnamon, report it on mint13 mailing-list/bug-tracker/whatever.