Re: Some applications freezing up

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 07:36:18PM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I launch some applications from within gnome 3 mainly rhythmbox and
> gmpc the following occurs:
> * The fan goes to pull speed.
> * The desktop is locked up for about a minute
> * After about a minute the fan slows back down and the desktop is no
> longer frozen allowing me to use these programs.
>
> Does anyone have some ideas why this might be occurring and how to fix
> it?

Without knowing the hardware specs, I can only guess that the
DE/software you are using is wanting more resources than the laptop¹ can
handle. You could try using a DE/software which is lighter e.g LXDE,
XFCE or even just a WM and start you software from an Xterm when needed.

¹ Guessing it's a laptop because of audible fan speed changes

oppressing." --- Malcolm X