Re: Laptop battery life with 64 bit

Daniel Dalton wrote:
> But should the knew kernel really improve battery life by apparently
> 5-6 hours (according to powertop)

Five to six hours of improvement would be a very large amount.
Probably more than is reasonable.  But smaller amounts would not be
unusual.

> Wouldn't device drivers be more or less the same on ubuntu and debian?

Two points.

1. Drivers release with the kernel and therefore different versions of
the kernel have different versions of drivers.

2. The different distributions have different rules about licenses are
allowed in the distribution.  Debian is a free as in freedom software
advocate and has removed all of the non-free drivers.  Ubuntu has
historically included many non-free drivers in their distribution.  I
don't know what their current policy says.  Therefore it is possible
that two installations, one Debian and one Ubuntu, would load
different drivers.  It is possible that one driver would significantly
less efficient in terms of battery life than the other.

I am very happy to read in the other message that you have solved your
problem.  Yay!

Bob