Re: Laptop battery life with 64 bit

Jochen Spieker wrote:
> Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > My question: does 64 bit debian use more battery power than 32 bit?
>
> Short answer: no. The relevant difference is probably Debian vs. Ubuntu
> here.

Agreed.  The difference is probably the linux kernel version.  Ubuntu
12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" has a Linux 3.5 kernel.  Debian "Wheezy"
Testing has a Linux 3.2 kernel.  Wheezy has been in freeze for many
months and that was the best version to support for several years of
security upgrades.  Ubuntu also used Linux 3.2 in their latest LTS
(long term support) release too.

I expect that linux kernel version difference between 3.5 and 3.2 and
device driver differences would make more difference than 32-bit
versus 64-bit.

In the past on my laptop changing from 32-bit to 64-bit on the same
version linux kernel made no noticeable difference in battery life.

Bob