Re: Need detialed info on preseeding

Bob Proulx wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
Bob Proulx wrote:
Here is an example from my preseed configuration:

   d-i pkgsel/include string dnsutils less nvi openssh-server postfix rsync sudo

All of those packages will be installed.  Any dependencies that they
declare will be installed.  The effect will be very similar to running
this command:

   # apt-get install -y dnsutils less nvi openssh-server postfix rsync sudo

Similar as a "a Cadillac is similar to a Pinto" ;/

Sorry but I do not agree with that analogy.

I wasn't very happy with the analogy myself. Perhaps it would have been better to ended with a question mark.

I don't see hardly any
difference between them at all.  Rather like 'apt-get install foo' and
'aptitude install foo' in that both accomplish the same thing in the
end even if they are doing it differently along the way.

That's exactly my discomfort zone. In other endeavors I've been bit too many times by "minor" differences.

I was looking for something similar to a manpage.
http://manpages.debian.net did not have an entry for
"pkgsel/include" nor "preseed/late_command".

Those don't quite fit into the standard Unix man page "brick" of
documentation methodology.

In another thread I may be arguing for "different bricks needed" though ,if asked, I might have said that we needed a "different finish on the bricks we have".

The best entry point for documentation is
here:

   http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed

Which points off not only to the official installation doc:

   http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apb.html

But also off to many auxiliary pages in the "Examples" section which
includes many good sites including this gem:

   http://hands.com/d-i/

I had been that route before I made my first attempt at preseeding. In another forum I was chided for doing too much research before attempting to use Linux.

And you didn't say what you did then but I assumed you would add
gnome-session to the list.

   # apt-get install gdm gnome-terminal gnome-session

And then with that the problem would be solved because it would
explicitly include gnome-session which was implicitly added before and
then wasn't needed as described above.  And if so then the same thing
in the preseed file.  Add gnome-session to the list.

   d-i pkgsel/include string gdm gnome-terminal gnome-session

If that makes sense then great!  If not please clarify.

Did it?

Examples just don't do it for me. They help, but are not the whole solution. E.G. I was slogging though the mirery clay of creating a partition recipe. There were examples ad infinitum. I then discovered some documentation which centered on the Backus–Naur Form of the recipe. For that problem it was the right "brick". I haven't seen the right "brick" yet for "pkgsel/include" or "preseed/late_command".

Bob