Re: Need detialed info on preseeding

Richard Owlett wrote:
> Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> >Does this helps?
>
> No :(
> Those only tell me the commands exist.
> I need to know what constraints exist for using them.

On the topic of pkgsel/include:

Here is an example from my preseed configuration:

  d-i pkgsel/include string dnsutils less nvi openssh-server postfix rsync sudo

All of those packages will be installed.  Any dependencies that they
declare will be installed.  The effect will be very similar to running
this command:

  # apt-get install -y dnsutils less nvi openssh-server postfix rsync sudo

What are you trying to accomplish and what problems are you having?

> In another thread ["apt-get BUG"  OR  "OPERATOR Error"?
> [🔎] 50BEBE94.3080209@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 50BEBE94.3080209@cloud85.net] I described my
> problems using apt-get.  Andrei Popescu identified the problem how
> dependencies were resolved
> [[🔎] 50C1E3F5.6070703@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 50C1E3F5.6070703@cloud85.net]

That was good debugging on Andrei's part.  :-)

> I'm running into apparently the same problem when trying to do it
> with preseeding.

It will behave exactly the same when preseeded as when done from the
command line.  Same thing.  No difference.  If you have figured it out
on the command line then it should be the same in the preseed file.

The previous problem you reported was:

  apt-get install gdm  # installs gnome-session
  apt-get install gdm gnome-terminal  # does not install gnome-session

Was identified by Andrei as:
Andrei wrote:
|Depends:
|  gnome-session | x-session-manager | x-window-manager | x-terminal-emulator,
|
| If you install both gdm and gnome-terminal in the same run apt will
| correctly consider this dependency satisfied (since gnome-terminal
| Provides: x-terminal-emulator), otherwise it will chose the first
| alternative, which is gnome-session (which then pulls an entire Gnome
| session via Depends and Recommends)

And you didn't say what you did then but I assumed you would add
gnome-session to the list.

  # apt-get install gdm gnome-terminal gnome-session

And then with that the problem would be solved because it would
explicitly include gnome-session which was implicitly added before and
then wasn't needed as described above.  And if so then the same thing
in the preseed file.  Add gnome-session to the list.

  d-i pkgsel/include string gdm gnome-terminal gnome-session

If that makes sense then great!  If not please clarify.

On the topic of preseed/late_command:

I have this for example:

  d-i preseed/late_command string wget -O/target/var/tmp/bootstrap http://despair/medley/medley-bootstrap; in-target sh /var/tmp/bootstrap

There are many different ways to do this.  I wanted to keep a copy
after the install but not permanently.  So I dropped the copy into
/var/tmp where it would survive a reboot.  /tmp is purged on reboot.
(My systems have a real filesystem, not tmpfs, for /var/tmp.)  Then
since wget won't leave it executable I run sh on it since it is a
"#!/bin/sh" script.  At that point the script can do almost anything.
It can 'apt-get install ...' additional packages.

Note however that the installer will think it is 27% of the way
through when running the late_command.  So there is still a
significant amount more to go.  If you spend an hour doing things in
that script then it will be at 27% for an hour.  Any output it
generates will be on vt4 (available with Alt-F4) and you can view it
in progress.  I personally try to keep that relatively short.  Since I
want to do a lot there I install a one time running boot time script
to install a lot more.  That runs after the reboot and the output is
on the default console and visible without switching VTs.

> I asked this time in general terms because I have ideas of other
> things I may wish to preseed so I was looking for a broad answer.

Did the above answer your question?  If not then please keep asking
questions.

Bob