Re: Gnome3 probe

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:40:03PM +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:35:59AM +0100, phi debian wrote:
> > So my question, does next release of debian will be poluted with gnome3,
> > are will we have a choice? Even a dangled gnome2 would be good for me.
>
> GNOME2 will be gone, GNOME3 will be present, and the fallback mode has
> been renamed "GNOME classic" and is available as a desktop session (that
> is, you can select it from the login prompt). So, if you can customize
> the fallback/classic mode to your tastes, which may involve writing or
> using extensions, great. If not, you could consider one of the other
> desktop environments in Debian, or you could use the 3rd party "MATE"
> packages which are a fork of the GNOME2 codebase. There's some chance
> that MATE will be officially packaged in Debian for the release after
> next, but not for wheezy. Finally, there's another effort called
> "Cinnamon" which tries to give a GNOME2-like experience on top of
> GNOME3 technology, again that is not packaged officially for the next
> release of Debian, but is available third party, and might be in the
> release after next.

Cinnamon is actually in Sid right now.  I haven't tried it, so I don't
know how well it works.

I use Fluxbox, and I like it a lot.  Honestly, I don't know why so many
people feel like they need to use a full desktop environment.  To go to
a straight window manager, I had a very short learning curve.  Basically
all I had to do was learn how to access the menu, and learn how to start
applications automatically on login (nm-applet, for example).

-Rob