Re: USB 3 card

One thing I have noticed with all the cards I have used, if the HD's I attach have the same id in lsusb then only one at a time will work and I have to move the other to another controller.

Shane

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Tyler D <tdowg1@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Nelson Green <nelsongreen84@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I need to install a USB3 card in a Dell Precision, running a stock Squeeze
>> install. Any that I should avoid, or issues I should be aware of? I see
>> there are some hits on the list, but most appear to be in Spanish and I am
>> far too rusty in that language to properly comprehend their content.
>
> I received no responses to this question (not complaining, just
> mentioning), but I have some experience to pass along in case anyone else is
> interested. Naturally I purchased a card that did not work. It was the "PPA
> International USB 3.0 SuperSpeed PCI-Express Card 2 Port". Unfortunately I
> am unable to tell anyone which chipset it incorporates, but will try to get
> it back to find out. When it did not work, a colleague offered to try it in
> his windows box, since the card came with a windows driver. It worked for
> him, and we swapped his card out. His works for me. It was a no-name brand,
> but it uses the NEC chipset, and seems to be working just fine here.

I have three USB3 cards.... two of them are PCI:
* StarTech 2 Port PCI SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card Adapter Model PCIUSB3S2
** http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158275
* Koutech 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Card Model IO-PU230
** http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815201041

and the other is PCIe:
* Western Digital USB 3.0 PCIe Card Model WDBFNJ0000NNC-WASN
** http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815140001

I use the PCIe card the most and haven't had any big problems.  The
PCI cards seem fine too, but I don't use them as much.

One thing I will mention is that for this 1 or 2 particular USB3 hard
drives, it isn't recognized... and I'm forced to use my motherboards
onboard USB2 port.  Having said that... I'm also not totally sure if
its the USB3 hard disk drive itself or the USB3 card that is at
fault... lol or something different entirely.  IIRC, I see this same
behaviour on an old Fedora 12 box, which uses one of the PCI cards and
also on my KUbuntu 12.04 machine which uses the PCIe card.

One of the PCI cards claims to use the NEC chipset.  Not sure about
the others.  The NEC chipset seems ubiquitous, though, for almost any
USB3 card I ever see.

Good Luck!

--Tyler