Re: Gnome3 probe

On 12/14/2012 05:30 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:40:03PM +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:35:59AM +0100, phi debian wrote:
So my question, does next release of debian will be poluted with gnome3,
are will we have a choice? Even a dangled gnome2 would be good for me.
GNOME2 will be gone, GNOME3 will be present, and the fallback mode has
been renamed "GNOME classic" and is available as a desktop session (that
is, you can select it from the login prompt). So, if you can customize
the fallback/classic mode to your tastes, which may involve writing or
using extensions, great. If not, you could consider one of the other
desktop environments in Debian, or you could use the 3rd party "MATE"
packages which are a fork of the GNOME2 codebase. There's some chance
that MATE will be officially packaged in Debian for the release after
next, but not for wheezy. Finally, there's another effort called
"Cinnamon" which tries to give a GNOME2-like experience on top of
GNOME3 technology, again that is not packaged officially for the next
release of Debian, but is available third party, and might be in the
release after next.

Cinnamon is actually in Sid right now.  I haven't tried it, so I don't
know how well it works.

I use Fluxbox, and I like it a lot.  Honestly, I don't know why so many
people feel like they need to use a full desktop environment.  To go to
a straight window manager, I had a very short learning curve.  Basically
all I had to do was learn how to access the menu, and learn how to start
applications automatically on login (nm-applet, for example).

-Rob
I used to use fvwm. Then I had a hard disk crash. Fortunately, I was able to recover most of my data, but I did need to reinstall on a new drive. That is when I installed gnome2. It made things easier for my wife and daughter. We were all in agreement, however, that we needed to find a replacement before installing Wheezy, because gnome3 was just not going to work for us. I have been running lxde on my laptop and I installed it on the desktop when I replaced my old box. I haven't had any complaints from my daughter, so it is staying that way.

Marc