Re: node.js npm and buster

Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am trying to setup buster.js to run under node.js in Debian Sid.

The name conflict of the much too generic "node" became one of those
irreconcilable differences.  After a very long discussion it was
referred to the technical committee and here is their resolution.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/07/msg00002.html

> 1) Node.js is not run as "node" (which the buster.js package
> assumes). Instead it runs as nodejs

Unfortunately, yes.

> 2) npm install -g installs the package in
> /usr/local/lib/node_modules rather than in /usr/lib/node_modules.
> There is a comment in the README.Debian of npm which cryptically
> mentions using npm link in the package directory, but I tried that
> and managed to apparently delete the package from
> /usr/local/lib/node_modules

Sorry but I have no information on this point.

> Can someone give me some definitive instructions of getting
> buster.js to run in Debian

I think all you need is to install nodejs-legacy in order to have a
compatibility link installed.

Bob