Re: node.js npm and buster

On 13/12/12 02:34, Bob Proulx wrote:
Alan Chandler wrote:
I am trying to setup buster.js to run under node.js in Debian Sid.
The name conflict of the much too generic "node" became one of those
irreconcilable differences.  After a very long discussion it was
referred to the technical committee and here is their resolution.

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/07/msg00002.html

1) Node.js is not run as "node" (which the buster.js package
assumes). Instead it runs as nodejs
Unfortunately, yes.

Seems like I can install nodejs-legacy to fix this - thanks for the link it has effectively solved this problem.

2) npm install -g installs the package in
/usr/local/lib/node_modules rather than in /usr/lib/node_modules.
There is a comment in the README.Debian of npm which cryptically
mentions using npm link in the package directory, but I tried that
and managed to apparently delete the package from
/usr/local/lib/node_modules
Sorry but I have no information on this point.

now that /usr/bin/node has been installed from nodejs-legacy (as a symlink to /usr/bin/nodejs) this part seems to work just fine

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk