Re: How recover from aborted dist-upgrade Stable to Testing (due to apt-listbug bug 585448)

nv wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > At this moment Squeeze is still Stable and so there is no difference
> > between the two steps that you did above.  No difference.
>
> There is actually a real difference, in how updates are handled, in
> that 'squeeze' would keep me on the Squeeze release even when Wheezy
> becomes 'stable,' whereas 'stable' would update me to Wheezy when it
> becomes 'stable.'

Yes.  Exactly.  Because having either in place would cause a surprise
and very likely some system breakage when a release happens.  Because
in recent releases there are always special instructions that are
needed to be complied with in the release notes.  It hasn't been
possible to do a hands-off automated upgrade for a while.  Therefore I
think it is trouble waiting to happen if you have 'stable' listed
instead off squeeze.

If on the other hand you are riding 'testing' then for most day to day
periods it is fine.  But right after a release the freeze is lifted
and the floodgates open to changes rolling in from unstable.  Testing
is usually a little unstable right around that point.  It settles down
after a short while however.

> I did the update/upgrade for 'squeeze,' then for
> 'stable,' with the expectation of no immediate difference, which is
> what I presume you are telling me now.  Good catch of my ambiguity that
> might have tripped up someone else reading this. :)

But your target goal was Wheezy.  Right?  I don't see any advantage
in going from squeeze to stable to wheezy.

> Yes, you are correct.  I misunderstood the timing for doing 'aptitude
> upgrade' as specified in that step.  I presumed I HAD done that step,
> but now that you bring it to my attention in this way, I see that I
> should do that AFTER changing my sources.list, but BEFORE doing
> dist-upgrade.

Yes!  A very critical thing.

> This is also why my dist-upgrade experience has always
> included the undesirable effect of removing lots of wanted packages.  I
> am very happy to have this clarified! :)

Oh good.

> All of my poking and prodding, so far, indicates that changing my
> sources.list back to 'stable' has safely and cleanly aborted the
> dist-upgrade.  Thank you for your advice. :)

Ah!  In that case you are ready to read through the upgrade
documentation and proceed with the directions there.  And remember
that it isn't released yet.  There may be bugs in the documentation as
well as in the process.  If you find something in the doc that needs
to be updated to match the process then please file a bug against it
so that it can be fixed before the release.

Bob