Re: NFS automount not happening [solution confirmed]

On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 02:43:36PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > This nfs startup part is a part that seems to have suffered from the
> > > transition from boot time scripts to event driven scripts.  This kind
> > > of thing use to work in the previous init script way.  I don't know
> > > the best design to make this work in the general case for the new
> > > event driven way.  But at least in my testing it was sufficient to add
> > > this mount line to /etc/rc.local in order to mount additional nfs
> > > mount points at boot time.
> >
> > Do you think this is something that merits a bug/wish report?  Against
> > what package?
>
> That is the problem.  There isn't really a package associated with nfs
> diskless clients.  It isn't a "thing" as a "configuration".  And so I
> don't know if there is a single canonical owner for it.  It would need
> some discussion to determine the best place for this.  Perhaps others
> will have more insight into this topic.

This is an area which could use quite a bit of work.  Unfortunately,
as you point out there isn't a single place to fix things--it
touches a whole host of packages, from the initramfs to the
initscripts, to udev and networking.

Some things which need addressing:
- use of tmpfses for non-writable locations like /media: we should
  be doing this by default; introducing /run/media on the /run
  tmpfs was one thing looked at for wheezy; but it didn't get done
  for reasons I can't recall offhand.  Something to revisit for
  jessie.  This not just specific to nfsroot, r/o root also needs it.

- ASYNCMOUNTNFS in /etc/default/rcS (see rcS(5)).  The fact this
  option exists indicates a problem.  The basic NFS mounting at
  boot should Just Work in all situations, without gross hacks
  like this.

- There are currently two places where NFS filesystem mounting
  can be triggered: /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs (triggered by
  ipup/udev) and /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh.  There should ideally
  be just a single script, which should cater for all cases; the
  other script can just run the other.

- NetworkManager from what I've observed from other bugs reports
  is hopelessly broken with NFS mounting at boot.

While I've looked at this peripherally as an initscripts maintainer,
and sponsor for ifupdown, I don't personally have the NFS expertise
to fully understand all of the disparate and incompatible use cases
to be able to engineer a proper solution.  We've fixed a few specific
individual issues, but not really tackled the big problem.

Help understanding what the problems are and how best to address them
would be very much appreciated if anyone wishes to help here.  We
really need someone intimately familiar with NFS, and how the boot
scripts work, or who could take the time to become familiar with them.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh