Re: NFS automount not happening

Ross Boylan wrote:
> I have a theory that the mounts are supposed to happen when the network
> device comes up; the regular network up routines are not triggered to
> avoid screwing up the root fs.  /etc/network/interfaces has
>
> # The primary network interface
> # do not bring up interface twice--PXE already did it
> #allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Is my theory correct?

Yes.  You are correct.  Mostly.  I fired up my nfs diskless client and
debugged through the startup process.  The eth0 network interface is
already up at the start and therefore isn't ever brought up.  The nfs
mounting is normally done in the /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs script.
But since the interface isn't brought up that script is never run.  It
is run for the lo loopback device but never run for the eth0 device
which is already running.

My configuration uses manual and not dhcp:

  iface eth0 inet manual

I don't think using dhcp is correct because the network is already up
and assigned.  But perhaps it is because that would allow the system
to migrate to a different address after the lease expires.  I don't
know.  I didn't do any testing of that configuration.  (Maybe later.)

This nfs startup part is a part that seems to have suffered from the
transition from boot time scripts to event driven scripts.  This kind
of thing use to work in the previous init script way.  I don't know
the best design to make this work in the general case for the new
event driven way.  But at least in my testing it was sufficient to add
this mount line to /etc/rc.local in order to mount additional nfs
mount points at boot time.

File /etc/rc.local:

  mount -a -t nfs

In my setup when I added that then everything seemed to work just
fine.  Because nfsdiskless isn't one of the really standard
configurations, you need to set it up manually, I think that is
probably a good enough solution for the moment.  Give it a go.

Bob