Re: Apt-get hangup (SOLVED)

Gary Roach wrote:

> You just answered my next question. I'm going to give your
> suggestions a lot of thought as soon as I get the last of the bugs
> out. I did try removal and re installation and it didn't help. I'm
> not sure that I did a good job of stripping out all of the old data
> though. I' m going to try again.

I am just going to mention that I like 'dlocate' as a very much faster
way to get 'dpkg -S' information.  It is indexed.  I haven't looked at
KDE in particular but there are often icons under /usr/share such as
under /usr/share/icons and I could envision symlinks too.  You may
need to track those down.  You will usually find these types of things
in the underlying something-base or something-icons or other dependent
packages.  It probably isn't the first package at the top of the
tree.  It is probably in one of the underlying packages down at the
bottom.  Figuring out what package is down at the bottom that you need
can be tedious.  And of course trying to purge it will want to unlayer
everything else depending upon it.

At times I have used dpkg with a --force-depends to remove and purge a
package and then install it again immediately afterward.

Rather than say much of this again here let me reference a previous
posting where I described some techniques to use /var/backups to list
what was installed and what is installed and to compare the two.

Hopefully it will be useful information.

> Backuppc is a bit picky about sym-links. I think that this is at the
> route of most of my problems.

I do like BackupPC quite a bit though.

> Rsync needs to have a -D switch set before it will transmit them
> properly. Of course I didn't find this out until after I got in
> trouble.

An rsync -D option?  I am unfamiliar with it.  Please say more.  I
will hopefully learn something.

Bob