Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

Hello Hans-J.,

please don’t CC me as I read the list.

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> Ok, but if they are "reinstalled", then the old libs should be deinstalled.
> But they will not. So I have some libs double on my system.

Last time you complained that ia32-libs was being deinstalled, now
you don’t want it to be deinstalled?

To make it clear: You do need two versions of some libs (such as
libc6), one for amd64 and one for i386. Previously, ia32-libs
contained all the i386 libs one usually needed. Now you can install
both versions side by side.

> > Yes there is, ia32-libs-* are superseded by multi-arch and no longer
> > maintained/updated.
> But the new ia32-libs are (if I am not wrong) in the amd64-repository, but
> cannot updated, as its dependencies are in i386-repo. That is no good idea.

Yes it is, as it allows you to update ia32-libs to the new,
transitional package which will then pull in the i386 stuff replacing
the old ia32-libs.

Best,

Claudius