Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

Hi,

Dňa Fri, 7 Dec 2012 19:54:33 +0100 "Hans-J. Ullrich"
<hans.ullrich@loop.de> napísal:

> But the new ia32-libs are (if I am not wrong) in the
> amd64-repository, but cannot updated, as its dependencies are in
> i386-repo. That is no good idea.

I agree, there are some problems, but all can be solved:

ia32-libs depends on ia32-libs-i386

the ia32-libs-i386 is in i386 repo:

LANG=C aptpo ia32-libs-i386
ia32-libs-i386:i386:
  Installed: 1:0.4
  Candidate: 1:0.4
  Version table:
 *** 1:0.4 0
        500 http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

it is accessible after:

dpkg --add-architecture i386
aptitude update

After this, installing the ia32-libs can be done with only one conflict
on my system - i must to replace the libjack0 (amd64) library by the
libjack-jackd2-0 (amd64). I am not able to write about difference
between these two packages, because i don't know :-)

More problems appears while installing the ia32-libs-gtk, where was
more conflicts, but all conflicting libraries was not depends, but
only recommends (or suggests - i am not sure now), then i manually
removed them and this solves the problem and i386 libraries are
installable. Perhaps this solution (removing conflicts i386 libraries)
will not work in future and some libraries will be missing, but i will
solve it, when the problem happens ;-)

Whole this procedure i have done right now, but i have only one 32bit
package right now and it is my custom package (the old good wink),
where i have no proper (multiarch) dependency yet, then i uninstall it.
By this, i have no tested, if installation works.

I hope, that this can help.

regards

--
Slavko