Re: Printer brand recommendations

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2012, Curt Howland wrote:
>> Hi. I have a HP inkjet printer, PSC2100 from 2003, which still works
>> fine but something in Debian has changed.
>>
>> It used to print graphics and photographs very well. But a year or so
>> ago graphics stopped being "nice" and started being grainy and
>> speckled, to the point where the names of roads can't be read in a
>> print of a Google Map.
>>
>> I thought it was just driver confusion at first, but this has been
>> happening on multiple systems, across more than one reinstall.
>>
>> Yet when I use Windows, it works perfectly.
>>
>> It's bad enough and obviously not going to get fixed, that I would
>> like suggestions for a replacement printer/scanner.
>>
>> Epsom? Cannon? What brand do people use that works well with xsane and CUPS?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Curt-
>
> I always use lasers and a separate scanner so this is probably not what
> you are looking for. Currently I had a Brother and a Samsung, both of
> which work very well. I'm sure CUPS would work with both but I prefer
> lprng + magicfilter. The driver from the Brother site used to work for
> me but for some reason it stopped; however, the ljet4 driver provided
> with magicfilter is fine.
>
> AC

I too always use lasers and a separate scanner.  I've had good
experience with my Brother printer, HL-4150CDN.

At least for my specific printer, Brother has put out Linux drivers...
I *think* I've tried/used them in the past, but currently I do not
since the default KUbuntu 12.04 desktop allowed me to easily configure
it.  One kwirk though: During the printer configuration wizard
thinggy, I had to specify that the model of the printer is a HL-4050
or something, but seems to work totally fine.

--Tyler