Printer brand recommendations

Hi. I have a HP inkjet printer, PSC2100 from 2003, which still works
fine but something in Debian has changed.

It used to print graphics and photographs very well. But a year or so
ago graphics stopped being "nice" and started being grainy and
speckled, to the point where the names of roads can't be read in a
print of a Google Map.

I thought it was just driver confusion at first, but this has been
happening on multiple systems, across more than one reinstall.

Yet when I use Windows, it works perfectly.

It's bad enough and obviously not going to get fixed, that I would
like suggestions for a replacement printer/scanner.

Epsom? Cannon? What brand do people use that works well with xsane and CUPS?

Thank you,

Curt-