Re: Memory errors on new memory in new system

On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 11:42 -0500, Doug wrote:
> I'm surprised that Memtest gives different results depending on what
> disk you run it from,  I guess it would be a good idea to download a
> stand-alone version and run a sanity check on the download.  BTW,
> Memtest has been around forever.  I think I first saw it around
> 1990, or maybe even earlier.
>
> How do you check to see how much memory your system has
> available to use? Obviously, you have to test that from within the OS.

$ hwinfo --memory | grep Size [1]
  Memory Size: 3 GB + 512 MB

256MB are missing, since 256 MB are frame buffer for the on-board
graphics. If I mount my NVIDIA with it's own RAM, the output will be +
additional 256 MB, so that still 256 MB are missing. I guess my Debian
(AVLinux) does use a PAE kernel and there no RAM should be missing. I
checked this a long time ago and since I don't have issues and I don't
need the missing RAM, I don't care.

If different versions would cause different results, I wouldn't be
surprised.

[1] This version of hwinfo is broken, I get
process 3804: arguments to dbus_move_error() were incorrect, assertion
"(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))" failed in
file ../../dbus/dbus-errors.c line 282.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
libhal.c 3483 : Error unsubscribing to signals, error=The name
org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

but in the past I tested it with versions that did not report such
issues and IIRC I also used other commands.

I don't have time to do tests and it's unimportant for me, but I'll keep
in mind to install current Debian version and to run memtest from the
memtest homepage.

Regards,
Ralf