Re: time zone and UTC issue [rant]

On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 08:45 -0800, unruh wrote:
> In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 08:44 -0300, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> >> Yep. Unfortunately Microsoft never learned in > 25 years that the
> >> world has more time zones than they might have imagined in DOS-times.
> >
> > They did and as I already explained, I want to have the local time for
> > the BIOS too.
>
> Why? Linux is designed to run the system time on UTC and to always
> interpret the time using /etc/localtime, usually into localtime. All
> filestamps are raw in UTC but interpreted into localtime. It is just
> silly to have the rtc/bios clock on localtime, and causes problems and
> has absolutely no advantages.

If I save BIOS settings as a file and the hwclock is set to UTC, the
files don't get the German time. The BIOS is the BIOS, it's neither
Windows, I don't use Windows, but nor the BIOS is Linux, so Linux can't
"translate" UTC to local time, when I save BIOS settings.

Under Linux I never noticed any disadvantage, when the hwclock is set to
local time. Why should there be issues?

Regards,
Ralf