[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Debian Installer 7.0 Beta4 release

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Russell L. Harris
<rlharris@broadcaster.org> wrote:
> Forgive me for painting with too broad a brush.  I did not mean to
> target you specifically, or even to include you in the group to which
> I referred.

Fair enough.

>> It's not helpful how often we get that: "Move to another distro".
> I disagree somewhat.  A single OS cannot fit the desires of every
> user.  I do not wish the desires of the many to result in a
> transmogrification which no longer serves the needs of present Debian
> users.  There is a place for novelty and the Ubuntu way of doing
> things, but that place is not Debian.

I see. Considering what you thought to be a rush, this makes sense.
But your premise were wrong.
I understand that this "recommendation" sometimes is the way to go.
But I still think we see that too much.
Anyway, I understand your point.

> There needs to be a "critical mass"; but beyond that point, an
> increase in numbers is not necessarily beneficial.

Critical mass is the minimum to set an event. Debian has passed that
long time ago.
I may be a dreamer, but I would love to see Debian take over the
world. But this is probably not a Debian way.
So you may say, if I want to see a distro take over, I might be better
moving to Ubuntu! Ahahaha! Just joking.

There is something I would like to talk: about standards. This would
be a bit off-topic, forgive-me.

When I decided to move "TO" Debian, one of my concerns was to be on a
distro that sets its way, not a distro that follows.
Debian moto is "The Universal Operating System". And that is the appeal to me.

I love standards. I would give my kingdom to have only ".deb" instead
of 3 or 4 (RPM, tar.gz, among others). Why? Because I think linux
would win a lot with standardization. But well, people from RPM would
not like it...

Other things also. CUPS, sound, and the more polemic: KDE!

I know this would never happens... But since it would never happens,
that's another motivation to be part of Debian, the greater
distribution. If we can't have 100% linux users, I can at least be
part of the distro I believe most to truly represent gnu/linux spirit.
And I can only hope people would join more.

>> If the answer to my question of "estimate" is May, so be it. Its an
>> estimate, isn't it? Would it hurt Debian if we postpone Wheezy to
>> April or May? I don't think so. But to September 2014, I think we
>> might have a problem within the cycle.
> If something is broken or something (such as network manager) is too
> complex to be generally usable, then a speedy fix is needed.  And
> sometimes a fix entails extensive redesign; in that case, delay is
> regrettable.
> In this matter, I perhaps am a bit sensitive, because of my experience
> with WordPress.  I began blogging with WordPress 1.0.  But before
> long, the defining characteristic of WordPress became "a new release
> every time the wind changes".  And each new release demanded that
> numerous customizations be re-done.  At that point, WordPress had been
> transformed from a productive tool into something of a religion which
> demanded entirely too much time and effort of the end user.  I wished
> to spend my time in the writing of blogs, not in a never-ending cycle
> of re-installation and customization of WordPress.  So at that point I
> went in search of another blogging engine.  I do not wish to see
> Debian follow that path.

I think we just agree here.

>> I just want to go fast to Wheezy, because Wheezy is a penguin with a
>> red bow tie.
> From what I have heard, Wheezy ought to be a penguin with a millstone
> tied about its neck.


> I look forward to the release of Wheezy in the sense that that the
> release frees the development team to work on a new version in which,
> hopefully, many of the "look and feel" innovations of Wheezy are
> relegated to the dumpster.
> RH

My best!


Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

--> . <--

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it
everyone you love, everyone you know..." (Carl Sagan, 1934-1996)

Reply to: