Re: Can Debian's paranoia be tamed

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 12:40 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 25.11.2012 00:14, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
> > On Jo, 22 nov 12, 22:30:54, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> >>
> >> And, seriously, windows users do that by default and their computers
> >> works not so bad.
> >
> > That's a joke, right?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
>
> Yes and no :)
>
> This could become a troll topic, but I will explain my thought at least
> once.
> I have a forgotten (and near forbidden, for games only. And, yes, I
> know there is wine.) partition with an old XP, and it run *not so bad*.
> But it does not run smoothly, fast, or any nice adjective I usually use
> to describe how nicely my computers with their true operating system
> works.
>
> Of course, I am not really a "normal windows user", since I have
> destroyed and repaired it an unknown but high number of times, and now I
> know what to disable to have a less insecure system (like... distant
> access to register, enabled by default... there are also stupid things
> like telephony enabled by default. Probably an history choice)

I don't like the policy of Microsoft, that's why I don't use it [1], but
it's possible to run an absolutely stable Windows XP. XP often is broken
because most Windows users don't have got the self responsibility Linux
users must have.
Some XP don't have or at least hide the admin account, but similar to
Linux there's an admin account too and a user doesn't have world
domination on XP too.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] Half truth, I run an XP without admin account in VBox, because I've
got an iPad and neither wine can run iTunes, nor does ad hoc work in
combination Linux/iPad. If I would seriously use Windows, than I would
chose XP, but with admin account.