Re: Can Debian's paranoia be tamed

Remove gdm, and put in the file "/root/.bash_profile" following lines:
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ];then
	startx
fi
To have a auto-login, you can also modify "/etc/inittab" and replace a "/sbin/getty" by "/bin/sh". The better with those solutions is the removal of a useless software. The problem is that you will not have a shiny background while you are not logged in.

Of course, you asked for a very unsecure trick, do that at your own risk if someone or yourself in another state (say, after a nice night with friends and beers ;)) can access physically your computer... but you said it was not the case. And, seriously, windows users do that by default and their computers works not so bad.