Re: Can Debian's paranoia be tamed

On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 20:28 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >> As in, you were not able to log in as root, even though
> >> you'd enabled root and provided a root password during
> >> installation? That's also kind of weird.  What about logging
> >> in as a normal user, and then opening a terminal window and
> >> typing "su" ?
> >
> > That was *NOT* my goal .
> > When booting, I wished "world domination" so to speak ;/
> >
> > "su" and "sudo" kept doing THEIR thing.
>
> ummm.... that's what su does - gives you "world domination"

It's wise not to run a complete session as root. It's better to e.g. use
a su frontend, e.g.

gksu thunar

or gksudo so that /etc/sudoers can be used to set up that no password is
required.

The menu entries can be edited with Alacarte, so instead of launching
Thunar, Nautilus or what ever file browser, launch it by gksudo thunar
and do this for all apps, that should run with root privileges.