Re: Can Debian's paranoia be tamed

Richard Owlett wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote:

you might try using expert mode when installing, and then
answering yes when the installer asks about enabling root
login,

That did not work.

That's rather odd.  The installer always asks me to set up a
root account, before setting up an account for the first
user, just before configuring the clock.

Those steps took place as you expected.
When I said "That did not work" I could have said "that did not accomplish my goal".

As in, you were not able to log in as root, even though you'd enabled root and provided a root password during installation? That's also kind of weird. What about logging in as a normal user, and then opening a terminal window and typing "su" ?

You're pretty limited without access to a repository,

As far as I'm concerned I do. That's why I purchased the 8 DVD set. Admittedly it is a snapshot in time. But that suits my needs/desires. As my goal is primarily educational - a constant environment has its advantages.

Interesting. I didn't realize you could get a full snapshot of packages.debian.org.